Garden Pole

I found a garden pole that I fell in love with in Austin, TX.

garden pole7

In fact, I found several garden poles that were awesome!  The quality of the artist’s work was outstanding. The poles were beautiful. However, at $200.00 and up, they were out of my budget.

I tried to put them out of my mind, but I kept thinking how great one – or two – would look in my garden. So I decided to price making one for myself.

garden pole 10

I found everything I needed at my local home improvement store. The pole itself, was just a 4 X 4 square post. The posts came in various sizes, but I quickly decided that the best way for me to go was an 8 ft long post. They even carried the copper post cap! While I was browsing the fence supplies area, I also found a solar light post cap. So I bought one of those too.

I didn’t want an 8 foot tall post, so I had the good folks at the store cut it down to a 5 ft. pole and 3 ft. pole. And they were kind enough to do it for free!

My total cost for both poles, the copper cap and the solar light cap was just over $25.00.

garden pole

When it came time to decide what to paint on my garden pole I grabbed a sketch book and drew all of the things that I love.  I drew crowns, birds, flowers, crosses and paisley designs. Once this was done, I grabbed my acrylic paints and went to town.

gardne pole 6

I couldn’t decide whether or not I liked the copper post top.

garden pole 2

Or if I liked the solar light top. After much debate, I went with the solar light. I’ll put the copper top on the smaller 3 ft. pole when it is done.

garden pole 5

I was really impressed with the solar light. It’s hard to tell in this photo, but it really puts out a fair amount of light.

garden pole 1

I have to say that after painting this pole I understand why the artist charges $200 and up for her poles.  Her beautiful poles have a ton of detail and are simply beautiful! My garden pole may not be as detailed or as pretty, but it has all of my favorite things and colors on it. I’d have to say that it is perfect for me.

Now if you will excuse me, I have another pole to paint!

Tammy

You can find me at these fabulous parties!

The Scoop

Wow Us Wednesdays #282

Thoughts of Home On Thursday

Flaunt It Friday

18 comments

• Tammy says:

Thank you Stacey! I never thought about using it for a girls get together, but you are so right! Thanks for planting that seed… after seeing the party at Jemma’s I’ve wanted to do something like that. Nothing better than great friends, food,and hands on fun!

• Tammy says:

Thank you Rita!
      At the time I posted about the garden poles I had my husband drill a hole in the bottom of the pole. We inserted and glued rebar about six inches into the hole, and left about six inches sticking out to put into the ground. This worked really well until the rains came. So we went to plan B. Instead of putting rebar in the center of the pole, we drilled to holes into the bottom a few inches apart. We then glued and inserted the rebar the same as before, making the pole a lot more stable.

1. Colleen says:

Just finished my first pole! I used a PVC pole cover instead of wood. Rough it up with light sand paper, clean off the dust, spray with a good primer and away you go. I used acrylic paint. As to putting it in the ground, we will probably buy 3-4 rebar (to go at least half way up the pole) put them in the ground then slip the pole cover over them. The problem I’m having at this point is all the cute covers, including solars aren’t fitting the 4×4 pole!! Hubby suggested cutting a piece of wood pole just long enough to screw the top onto, then slip wood into pole and screw PVC to wood piece from the outside. Any other suggestions?!

• Tammy says:

Colleen,
      I think using PVC for you pole is a genius idea. The wooden ones are very top heavy and it’s tricky getting enough rebar placed just right for them to be sturdy. I will say that all of the cute covers that I tried didn’t fit the wooden poles exactly either. It was a little frustrating to say the least. With the wooden poles the covers were a little loose but not so much that screwing them into the pole was a big issue. I think that your Hubby’s idea of using a piece of wood is an excellent idea, as long as it doesn’t make it top heavy. The only other thing that I can think of – and with out playing with it I’m not sure how well it would work, I think it would depend on how much of a gap you have between the pole and the cover – would be to use the peel and stick insulation tape ( the kind they use around doors and windows) It would be light weight and any excess width or length could be easily trimmed. Good luck with your project, I would love to see your pole finished and I am super curious as to how you get the covers to fit! Please keep me posted!

• Colleen says:

Hi Tammy. Thanks for the reply. The covers are to small. So by taking a small block of wood, just enough to screw top onto and enough to insert into PVC and screw into all three together, I’m hoping that will work. I think we will scour the store and see what light weight material we can use besides wood. Cross your fingers if works cause if like to make more. If the covers don’t fit a 4×4 pole sleeve, how in the world do the fit over a 4×4 wood pole?! Must be the wood pole is a tad smaller. I’ll let you know what happens!

• Tammy says:

Colleen,
          You have me intrigued! Yes the wooden poles are a bit smaller, making the covers too big. I was surprised as you see them on fence posts all the time. I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Good Luck and please send pictures!

• Tammy says:

Suzy,
      I used rebar. I drilled holes about 6″ deep and inserted the rebar using an all purpose glue to secure it. I started with one in the center and quickly realized that it was too top heavy for that! So I have three pieces of rebar in a triangle shape drilled about 3 -4 inches into the bottom of my pole. Three may be over kill but I’ve broken the top caps more than once with the poles falling over. Good luck! And I would love to see pictures!!!!!

• Colleen says:

Hi Tammy & Suzie.

I found a “multi” fitting solar cap at Lowes!! They come in white, copper or black and the inside squares can be removed for a snug fit. With the bottom we pretty much did the same thing as Suzy. The piece of 4×4 wood we used should have been longer, I would suggest one at least half way up your pvc sleeve. We didn’t glue our rebar. Mine does wiggle a bit cause the wood isn’t very high, maybe 10″ but the rebar goes in the ground a good 15″ or more. No probs with it being too top heavy. The solar top looks great at night and is really bright. Forgot to tell you, I put at least 5 coats of clear acrylic non yellowing, UV protective spray on my pole. Good luck ladies, would love to see pics!!

• Tammy says:

Thanks Colleen! I’ll check on the solar cap. I have a feeling I will need those inside squares for my wooden ones. I can’t wait to try out making them with the PVC, which I think is genius! Thanks again for sharing!!!!!